Geothermal Development Facility for Latin America – Initial results of first call
German development bank KfW shared results of the first call for proposals of the Geothermal Development Facility (GDF) where 30 projects from 9 of the 10 countries covered under the facility sought funding.
In his presentation on the experience of KfW at a risk mitigation panel of the GEOLAC conference in Mexico City, Jens Wirth, Senior Project Manager at KfW shared results of the first call of the Geothermal Development Facility (GDF). The GDF was set up as the first multi-donor climate initiative to promote geothermal energy in Latin America. With the first call for proposals concluded, the facility is now operational.
He also shared details of the expressions of interest received, which are now being evaluated. Qualified proposals will then be invited to provide technical proposals. The program received 25 expressions of interest (projects) from 9 of the 10 countries covered by the program. Countries covered under GDF are Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru. From the initial round no expression of interest was received from El Salvador.
Entities that have sought support were 22 private sector players (88%), 7 public companies and one public-private driven project. About 56% or 14 projects have sought funding for surface studies and 44% (or 11 projects) have sought funding for exploration drilling.
Here a detailed look at the number and type of projects and countries where they are located:
- Bolivia: 2 projects (one each for surface studies and exploration drilling)
- Chile: 8 projects (5 for surface studies and 3 for exploration drilling)
- Colombia: 2 projects for surface studies
- Costa Rica: 1 project for surface studies
- Ecuador: 1 project for surface studies
- El Salvador: no project sought funding
- Guatemala: 4 projects (2 for surface studies, 2 for exploration drilling)
- Honduras: 2 projects (1 for surface studies, 1 for exploration drilling)
- Nicaragua: 1 project for surface studies
- Peru: 4 projects (2 for surface studies, 2 for exploration drilling)
The GDF program will share more details at a special workshop tomorrow and we hope to report on it later.