News

Geothermal with 2.2% total share in power generation in Italy

Bagnore 3 plant, Tuscany, Italy (source: Enel Green Power)
Francisco Rojas Francisco Rojas 24 Jun 2015

The net national production for geothermal increased by +4.4%

In a brief press release by TERNA one of the largest operators in electricity transmission grids in Italy states that: in May 2015, electricity demand in Italy was substantially in line (-0.1%) with the same month last year, without the effect of temperature and considering the same number of days. In May 2015 there was one less business day (20 vs 21), and an average temperature around one and a half degrees higher. In absolute terms, electricity demand reached 24.9 billion kWh, down 1.3% against the corresponding month of 2014.

The 24.9 billion kWh required for the month of May 2015 were distributed 46.3% in the North, 30.1% in the Center, and 23.6% in the South.

In May 2015, the electricity demand was met for 89.3% with the national production and for the remaining part (10.7%) with the balance of electricity exchanged with foreign countries. More specifically, the net national production (22.4 billion kWh) was in line with the figures of May 2014 (-0.2%). Wind power (+9.3%), thermal (+5.5%), geothermal (+4.4%), and photovoltaic energy production (+4.3%) increased, while hydroelectric production decreased (-15.8%).

The short-term profile for May 2015 showed a seasonally adjusted variation in electricity demand compared to the previous month equal to -1.1%. The trend continues to be stable.

During the first five months of 2015, electricity demand dropped by 0.2%, considering the same number working days.

To see the full details, please follow THIS LINK

Source: Press Release by Terna