Job: Int’l Consultant – Geothermal Communication & Advocacy Strategy
UNDP is seeking applications for an International Consultant to develop a communication and advocacy strategy for the geothermal development programme on the Comoros Islands.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is seeking applications for an International Consultant to develop a communication and advocacy strategy of the Program of Development of Geothermal Energy in the Comoros, its action plan and support its implementation.
- Location: Remote with two missions to the Grande-Comores, Comoros Islands
- Deadline Application: 18-Sep-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
- Type of Contract: Individual Contract
- Post Level: International Consultant
- Required Languages: English French
- Duration of Initial Contract: 45 working days
The Union of the Comoros, is a small island state more vulnerable to the devastating effects of climate change, where energy is a major constraining factor to sustainable economic growth and development. Its electricity production is mainly based on the use of diesel power plants with 83.3% of the national total.
In an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with the intensive use of diesel for electricity generation, the Comorian government has advocated exploring the potential of using geothermal energy as one of mitigation measures that can change the country’s economic growth from the high carbon mode to low carbon mode.
In support of the government’s initiative, the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) has mobilized funding from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) to finance the “Sustainable Development in the Comoros Project” through the promotion of resources in the region. geothermal energy “based in the Geological Survey of Comoros (BGC).
Indeed, this Project is a logical continuation of the actions taken by the government to build a successful energy sector to support economic and social development, by providing quality energy services in sufficient quantity and quality. at competitive prices, while contributing to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
In order to make visible the activities of the Geothermal Development Program in the Comoros while promoting it, the Project intends to pay the services of an international consultant, accompanied by a national consultant, to elaborate its communication strategy.
The project is structured in three (03) components, hereinafter referred to as:
- Component 1: Policy, Regulatory, Legislative and Financial Instruments of “De-risking” for the Development of Geothermal Energy
- Component 2: Preparation and development of geothermal energy upstream.
- Component 3: Knowledge Management and Investment Promotion.
Objectives of the mission
The general objective is to develop a global communication and advocacy strategy of the Geothermal Development Program in the Comoros throughout the implementation period of the Geothermal Project (6 years) allowing the mobilization of additional financial resources through the project, ptimizing the visibility of the activities and results of the Program, both at national and international level.
The specific objectives of this consultation are to provide the Comoros Geothermal Development Program with a tool to enable it to:
- Identify and implement the appropriate approaches and tools to make visible the activities and results of the Geothermal Program;
- Promote the development initiatives of the Geothermal Program, in order to facilitate the setting up of technical, strategic and financial partnerships;
- Strengthen the communication capabilities of the Geological Office team to mobilize more resources and partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the National Project Coordinator in close collaboration with the National Project Director, the consultant will be responsible for:
- Develop a communication and advocacy strategy, as well as its implementation plan;
- Define communication and promotional tools and products for the Geothermal Program; Define a marketing approach to attract technical and financial partners;
- Propose a detailed and multi-year communication plan that will indicate for each action selected the means of implementation, the communication formats to be deployed, the recommended media and the timeline for implementation;
- Support the design and implementation of various communication tools and media;
- Elaborate the specifications for the creation of a Website and ensure quality control for its implementation;
- Write and revise the articles, as well as the publications produced in French and English, and ensure their dissemination;
- Design essential communication tools and products to enable the Geological Office team to organize and participate in events related to the promotion of geothermal energy;
Develop a guide for the production of audiovisual material promoting the Geothermal Program.
In view of the tasks to be performed by the consultant, the main expected results are:
- A communication strategy covering the implementation period of the Project is developed, together with its communication and visibility plan adapted to the Geological Office’s institutional framework (timetable, budget, implementation modalities);
- A monitoring and evaluation system for the implementation of the strategy and its communication plan is put in place;
- A partnership with the press and other information delivery structures is proposed;
- The project website is set up and functional;
- Communication tools and materials are produced, reviewed and available;
- Documentaries, films, videos and photos are produced and popularized on the website and with partners;
- A strategic resource mobilization framework is developed and made available.
Competencies – the consultant must have:
- Proven ability to work in a team;
- A good knowledge of the actors involved in geothermal energy at regional and international level;
- Good editorial ability.
Required Skills and Experience
- Justify a master’s degree in communication, journalism, public and international relations.
- Have at least 10 years of professional experience in the field of communication and mainly institutional advocacy;
- At least three international missions in the development of a strategy and plan for communication and advocacy in the field of renewable energies;
- Having a similar mission in the field of geothermal energy would be an asset;
- Confirmed professional experience in communication and advocacy (minimum 05 years) in the context of renewable energy development;
- Demonstrate perfect mastery of computer tools and NICs, including social media (Twitter, Facebook, Youtube), and various Microsoft Office applications;
- Computer graphics and desktop publishing skills would be an asset.
Have excellent communication and writing skills in French and English.
Equal skills female candidates will be preferred.