Video: Seizing the Geothermal Opportunities – Global Geothermal Alliance (IRENA)
The Global Geothermal Alliance, a global platform for collaboration between industry, policy makers and stakeholders shared a video on how we can seize the geothermal opportunities for power generation and heating.
Launched at COP21*, the Global Geothermal Alliance (GGA) serves as a platform for dialogue, cooperation and coordinated action between the geothermal industry, policy makers and stakeholders worldwide.
As stated in the Joint Communiqué on the Global Geothermal Alliance, the GGA is a coalition for action to increase the use of geothermal energy, both in power generation and direct use of heat. It calls on governments, business and other stakeholders to support the deployment of realizable geothermal potential. The Alliance has an aspirational goal to achieve a five-fold growth in the installed capacity for geothermal power generation and more than two-fold growth in geothermal heating by 2030.
What the GGA is designed to do?
- foster an enabling environment to attract investments in geothermal energy;
- provide customised support to regions and countries with geothermal market potential;
- facilitate the exchange of insights and experience among key stakeholders in the geothermal energy value chain;
- identify and promote models for sharing and mitigating risks, in order to attract private investment and integrate geothermal facilities into energy markets.
- help to streamline outreach efforts to give geothermal energy greater visibility in the global energy and climate debates.
In a video published in July 2018, IRENA shares interviews and statements taken at the High-Level Conference of the Alliance in Florence/ Italy in September 2017
* The 21st Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), held in Paris, France, in December 2015
Disclaimer: The Author was interviewed and is featured in the video in his capacity as President of the International Geothermal Association (IGA)