Winning presentation announced of GRC Annual Meeting 2017
The Geothermal Resources Council has announced the winning presentations of each session held at the GRC Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City, October 2017.
In a release today, the Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) has announced the outstanding technical presentations from the global geothermal energy community for 2017.
The selections were made in each of the GRC Technical Sessions held in early October at the 41st GRC Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, the world’s largest annual geothermal energy event. The judging criteria included the technical content, the quality of the visual aids and the presenter’s ability to communicate the subject matter. Over 220 presentations were made totaling over 75 hours over three days. More than 1,000 attendees came to the GRC Annual Meeting and GEA GeoExpo+ from 35 different countries around the world.
The winning presentations in each session are:
- Geothermal Associated with Oil and Gas Operations – The UND-CLR Binary Geothermal Power Plant, by Will Gosnold et al.
- Geology 1 – A Refined Conceptual Model For Subsidence at Wairakei, New Zealand, by Fabian Sepulveda et al.
- Geophysics 1 – 3D Geophysical Inversion Modeling of Ground Magnetic Data at Baker Hot Springs, Washington State, USA, by Jeff Witter et al.
- Power Operations / Flexible Generation / Maintenance 1 – Design of Wairakei B Station GRS Upgrade, by Tracy Mills.
- Enhanced Geothermal Systems: Collab – An Introduction to the EGS Collab Project, by Pat Dobson.
- Business Development / Finance/ Market Analysis – Positioning and Promoting – The Role of Marketing and Communication in the Geothermal Sector, by Patrick Hanson.
- Geophysics 2 – Fracture and Stress Evaluation Using Well Logs and Microseismicity in the Exploitation of Los Humeros Geothermal Field, Mexico, by Edgar Urban Rascon et al.
- Heatflow and Climate Change – Borehole Temperatures, Meteorologic Data, and Baseline Temperatures for Recent Climate Change: from Local to Global Scales, by David Chapman et al.
- Enhanced Geothermal Systems 1 – Pressure Solution and Permeability Evolution in Fractured Granite at Elastic and Plastic Deformation Regimes, by Kohei Saito et al.
- Exploration: World Tour – Insights Into the Apas Kiri Geothermal System from AK-1D – Malaysia’s First Geothermal Exploration Well, by Ryan Libbey.
- Direct Use – A Preliminary Evaluation of Geothermal and Natural Gas Resource Options for Camp Dawson, Preston County, West Virginia, by Ken Means.
- Geochemistry 1 – Comparison and Controls of Thermal Spring Chemistry in Cascade Range and Olympic Mountains Geothermal Provinces, Washington, by Jon Golla et al.
- Reservoir Engineering/ Reservoir Management/ Modeling 1 – Key Technologies On Geothermal Water Reinjection Of Sandstone Porous Aquifers: A Case Study Of Dezhou Geothermal Reservoir In Northern China, by Tingting Zheng.
- Education and Community Engagement 1 – New Role of Geothermal Exploration, by Professor Masami Nakagawa.
- Modeling and Simulation: Heat Pumps and Direct Use – Optimal Configuration for Low-T Geothermal CHP Plants, by Sarah Van Erdeweghe et al.
- Drilling 1 – Durability of Bond between High-Temperature Cement Composites and Carbon Steel, by Tatiana Pyatina.
- Field Operations / Production Technologies – Analytical and Experimental Study of Measuring Enthalpy in Geothermal Reservoirs with a Downhole Tool, by Xuhua Gao et al.
- Exploration: Iceland and Africa – Geothermal Conceptual Model of Suswa Volcano, Kenya, by Jeremiah Kipngok et al.
- Country Updates – Turkish Geothermal – Perspectives on Development, Construction, and Operations, by William Harvey.
- Drilling 2 – A New Approach to Mitigate Casing failures in High-Temperature Geothermal Wells, by Ingolfur Thorbjornsson.
- Emerging Technologies 2 – Retrofitting a Geothermal Plant With Solar and Storage to Increase Power Generation, by Joshua McTigue.
- FORGE 1: Fallon – An Update on the Geologic Model of the Fallon FORGE site, by Drew Siler et al.
- Exploration: Menengai – The Use of Leapfrog Software in Geothermal Conceptual Modelling: Case Study of Menengai Geothermal Field, by Jeremy O’Brien on behalf of Geoffrey Mibei.
- Drilling 3 – Numerical Analysis of the Two-material Downhole Flow Field in Hydrothermal Jet Drilling, by Zehao Lyu et al.
- Power Operations / Flexible Generation / Maintenance 2 – Case Study: Shell Side Geothermal Power Plant Condenser Cleaning Utilizing Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) at The Geysers, by Brian Benn et al.
- FORGE 2: Milford – Revised Geologic Mapping and Fracture Analysis of Bedrock Adjoining the Utah FORGE Site, by Stefan Kirby et al.
- Exploration: Miscellaneous – Post-depositional Alteration Of Siliceous Sinter Near Old Faithful Geyser, Yellowstone National Park, USA, by Bridget Lynne.
- Direct Use / Heat Pumps – Numerical Investigation on Reservoir Heat Production Capacity of a Downhole Heat Exchanger Geothermal System, by Yu Shi.
- Drilling 4 – Concept of Thermal-Shock Enhanced Drill Bit for Supercritical Geothermal Drilling, by Shigemi Naganawa.
- Power Operations / Flexible Generation / Maintenance 3 – KenGen’s Successful Implementation of a Modular Geothermal Wellhead Strategy, by Gestur Bardarson et al.
- Reservoir Engineering/ Reservoir Management/ Modeling 2 – Temperature Recovery after Long-term Injection: Case History from Soda Lake, Nevada, by Jim Lovekin.
- Modeling and Simulation: ORCs and Misc – Modeling of the Effect of Module Size and Material Property on Thermoelectric Generator Power, by Kewen Li et al.
- Field Ops/Direct Use – Transforming Silica into Silicate – Pilot Scale Removal of Problematic Silica from Geothermal Brine, by Thomas Borrmann.
- Power Operations / Flexible Generation / Maintenance 4 – Global Value Chain and Manufacturing Analysis on Geothermal Power Plant Turbines, by Sertac Akar.
- Enhanced Geothermal Systems 2 – Estimating In-Situ Stress, Fracture Properties and Fluid Saturation During The Geysers EGS Demonstration Project, by Roland Gritto.
- Exploration: Mineral Extraction and Regional Updates – Do Geothermal Systems Play a Role in Lithium Brine Enrichment in Nevada Playas?, by Mark Coolbaugh.
- Geology and Play Fairways 2 – Applying Play Fairway Analysis for Human Impacts in Geothermal Exploration Site Selection — A Preliminary Study in Yi-Lan Plain, Taiwan, by Chyi Wang et al.
- Geophysics 3 – Multi-Physics Imaging of the Darajat Field, by Wolfgang Soyer et al.
- Reservoir Engineering/ Reservoir Management/ Modeling 3 – Validation of ECLIPSE Reservoir Simulation for Geothermal Problems, by Robert Stacey.
The GRC has added all the papers associated with the technical session presentations to the GRC Geothermal Library at http://www.geothermal-library.org. Papers from the 2017 Annual Meeting are now available for members only. Papers from previous years are available for all.
In the next few weeks the GRC will issue a call for papers to be presented at next year’s GRC Annual Meeting taking place October 14-17, 2018 in Reno, Nevada, USA.
Source: Release by GRC