Women in Geothermal (Wing) networking event, Vancouver, Canada – Oct 17, 2014
CanGEA supports WING Programme to promote the education, professional development, and advancement of women in the geothermal community.
The mission of WING is “to promote the education, professional development, and advancement of women in the geothermal community.”
This event will be hosted by WING. The purpose is to network, discuss industry issues, and discuss issues faced by women in the industry. The two major issues faced by women in the industry are unequal pay, and a lack of female leadership roles and mentors. As a part of their mission WING hosts networking events, awards ceremonies, and organizes mentoring programs to develop a stronger female presence in the geothermal industry.
WING’s polls surfaced other issues faced by women in geothermal and include:
- Assertive women being perceived as aggressive
- Too few women in technical fields due to lack of encouragement
- Male dominance in the field leads to fewer women being promoted
- Harder to obtain respect from peers, compared to men
- Lack of accountability to ensure that women are treated equally
- More women in science and engineering
- Too few women in upper management, negotiations, and as leads in general
While this event is centred around female involvement in the geothermal community, we welcome any males wishing to attend, especially those offering to be mentors! Please come and bring a friend!
The cost for regular event registration is $25, and $15 for student registration. Click here to register. If you have any further questions, contact CanGEA at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Event Released by CanGEA