The Government of the Republic of Kenya will be hosting the 8th African Rift Geothermal Conference (ARGeo-C8) under the title: “Seizing the Moment: Investing in Geothermal Resources for Sustainable Development”. The conference is organised by the Geothermal Association of Kenya (GAK), the African Union Commission (AUC) and the IGA Africa Regional Branch.
The conference will take place October 26-November 1, 2020 at the UNEP Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The conference has now issued its first announcement and the Call for Papers.
Main elements of the conference:
- 26-27 October 2020: The Short Courses.
- 28-30 October 2020: The Main Conference
- 31 October -1 November 2020: The Field Trip.
The seven previous biennial conferences were held in Ethiopia (2006), Uganda (2008), Djibouti (2010), Kenya (2012), Tanzania (2014), Ethiopia (2016) and Rwanda (2018).
In order to expedite geothermal development in Africa, various innovative geothermal support programmes have been initiated in the East Africa region. The UN Environment-ARGeo Programme is one of those programmes where its main objective is to catalyze investments in geothermal development in the region. This programme, through one of its project components, supports countries to host and organize the biennial regional geothermal conferences in coordination with other geothermal support programmes and partners. The aim of this biennial conference is to promote regional cooperation, create an information exchange platform on the exploration, development, investment and utilization of the geothermal resources in the region.
Topics of the Conference (and for the papers):
- Drilling technology
- Reservoir Engineering
- Environmental, health, safety & social factors in geothermal development. • Geothermal power-plants
- Direct use application
- New geothermal technologies, research and innovation
- Policy, legal and regulatory frameworks for geothermal industry
- Project Management, Financing & Economics of geothermal projects
- Case studies – any aspect of geothermal development
- Student papers – to include all aspects for geothermal exploration.
- Mineral extraction
Please send your abstracts via C8@theargeo.org and the contacts provided below.
Submission deadline is 28th February 2020.
Template for the abstracts will be shared by 5 Nov 2019
The call for Papers can be downloaded here (pdf).
ARGeo-C8 – Organizing Committee – -E-mail address: C8@theargeo.org
UN Environment -ARGEO – Tel: +254 20 762 5634/ +254 702 396 418 – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org