Job: Assistant Professor, geological resource exploration, University of Twente
The University of Twente's Department of Earth Systems Analysis/ Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation is advertising the position of Assistant Professor, looking for an Earth scientist with experience in regional geological interpretation and data integration for Earth resource exploration.
The Department of Earth Systems Analysis of the faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation at the University of Twente is looking for an Earth scientist with experience in regional geological interpretation and data integration for Earth resource exploration. The Department of Earth Systems Analysis combines Earth science knowledge with spatial modelling and advanced remote sensing to understand Earth processes in space and time. Our education and research contribute to the sustainable use of energy and Earth resources and help reduce disaster risk and the impact of natural hazards on society.
The Geological Remote Sensing group of the Department of Earth Systems Analysis studies the natural environment with optical and thermal infrared spectroscopy, hyperspectral remote sensing and geophysics to understand Earth processes in space and time. Major lines of research include expert systems for surface compositional mapping, quantification of rock samples and Earth surface characteristics, and validation of remote sensing results with laboratory and field measurements.
The group would like to further enhance the validation of remote sensing methods with laboratory and ground data and continue the development of remote sensing approaches to solve Earth science problems and to support demands from industry. Also supporting the Natural Hazards group of the department with, for example, surface characteristics on soils and soil conditions is a possible line of development.
You have to:
- Contribute to the 2-year “Applied Remote Sensing” master specialization of the faculty ITC
- Develop own research in the field of regional geological interpretation with a link to resources exploration, and supervise MSc and PhD students
- Attract external funding and contribute to projects in the department.
- A PhD in Earth Sciences, or a field that can be related to earth resource exploration;
- Experience in exploration geology and geological interpretations at a regional scale;
- A strong affinity with remote sensing, and interest to use remote sensing data in earth sciences;
- Broad knowledge of the thematic fields of the department;
- An aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level;
- Affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment;
- A willingness to undertake international travel to less developed countries and a willingness to contribute to international projects;
- An excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch, is an advantage
Knowledge on one of the following topics would be an advantage:
- Economic geology, ore-forming processes, mineral exploration, geothermal exploration;
- Multi-spectral satellite VNIR-SWIR-TIR sensors and image processing;
- Airborne geophysics or radar remote sensing;
- Mineralogy, geochemistry and laboratory methods;
- Integration of a diverse range of spatial data sets;
- Application of remote sensing data in the industry; bring a network.
You must have a PhD at the time of employment, and show a demonstrated record or strong promise of research productivity. You are expected to build a vigorous, externally funded research program, mentor MSc and PhD graduate students, and teach graduate courses in your speciality.
Information and Application
Additional information regarding the position can be obtained from Prof. Dr. Mark van der Meijde (e-mail: email@example.com). You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before 25 February 2019 (choose “apply now” below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests, (ii) a detailed CV with references and (iii) a two-page statement on your personal vision on research, education and capacity development in relation to ITC, and the position. Applications that do not include all three will not be considered.
A public guest lecture to the ITC-staff can be part of the selection. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women and candidates from our target countries to apply.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3637,- and € 4978,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply. The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC’s activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN GEOLOGICAL RESOURCE EXPLORATION