Internship – Geoscientist Geothermal, CGG, Wales, UK
Wales, UK-based geoscience company CGG has open internship positions for Geoscientists Geothermal.
Global geoscience technology company CGG (www.cgg.com) with a staff of around 4,000 people worldwide, has advertised open internship positions for Geoscientists geothermal for a 6-month period with potential to extend. The company provides a comprehensive range of data, products, services and equipment that supports the discovery and responsible management of the Earth’s natural resources.
The company offers a comprehensive portfolio of multi-disciplinary, multi-client products, including the industry’s most recent and technologically advanced seismic data library in the world’s key locations.
We are looking for enthusiastic, talented and highly motivated Geoscientists to join our Geothermal Science team based in North Wales (our Crawley office could be considered). This part of our business is expanding rapidly, and we are looking to fill several roles across disciplines that link to emerging trends and opportunities in geothermal energy.
Depending on the combination of skills and experience that each candidate brings, there will be the opportunity to contribute to technical research, developments, product commercialisation, and commercial projects. The geothermal group collaborates with the CGG business lines that span a range of technical disciplines, including geology, geophysics, multi-physics, satellite remote sensing, digital and environmental science.
As an integral member of our Geothermal Science team we highly encourage the contribution of ideas and drive in the generation of new concepts and commercial opportunities for the business.
We are looking for several roles, including Geoscientists, Analysts and Data Engineers who ideally have experience within geoscience, particularly geothermal, geology or geophysics. Experience in the geothermal domain, or a blend of the experience described, is essential.
There are several roles available, and the successful candidates may have a background in the Geosciences, Data Analysis/Science, or a combination of these disciplines. Please specify your preferred area of focus on the cover letter that you supply.
You will be experienced in one of more of the following areas:
- Data Engineering (experience in SQL, Python or R)
- Inorganic Geochemistry (e.g. as applied to geothermal fluids)
- Geomechanics/Earth Physics (e.g. as applied to seismology)
The successful candidate will benefit from some of the skills identified below, which should be highlighted in your application depending on your preferred role/area of focus:
- Experience through own research to engage critically, practically and creatively with current topics relating to the geosciences, specifically the geothermal sector.
- Specific knowledge of the geothermal industry/technology requirements, trends and gaps.
- An understanding of data and technology impact, and the potential for enhancements to address technical and commercial opportunities
- Advanced problem-solving skills, especially focused on finding new solutions to data identification, ingestion, consistency, loading, and output problems
- Ability to rapidly locate, digest and compile information from different sources
- Experience in coordinating or managing projects that involve diverse data and stakeholders; ability to define and manage project deadlines
- Track record of implementation of SQL, Python or R in geoscience projects
- Good understanding of statistics & data science including machine learning
- Familiarity with data extraction techniques from a variety of file types, including web-scraping approaches and technologies
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- An enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges and rapid changes in direction.
The roles are most suited to those who are currently working on a PhD, those who have recently completed an MSc or PhD, or candidates that that have industry experience and are interested in immediately embarking on a new opportunity.
We recognise the importance of work life balance for our employees, which is supported through our flexible working and relaxed dress code policies.
We recognise and actively support the wellbeing of our staff through many different initiatives;
- Promoting active lifestyles
- Regular social club events, spontaneous reward events throughout the year
- Many discounts schemes, including Gym membership and a cycle purchase scheme
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.
Source: CGG via Smart Recruiters