Top 10 most read geothermal news of 2021 on ThinkGeoEnergy
For the 12th time, here is our annual top 10 list of the most read news pieces of 2021 for the past 12 months.
In our annual tradition, here the top 10 most read geothermal news on our website for the year 2021. This is the 12th time we report on our top 10 in our now 13 years of existence. We are proud serving the industry as the longest running dedicated geothermal news platform.
Beside the pandemic theme dominating this past year, it has been an incredibly exciting year for the geothermal energy market. So despite ongoing challenges due to travel restrictions, lock-downs, supply chain disruptions and connected delays in development, things did happen in 2021.
From two new countries joining the list of countries with geothermal power generation (Taiwan and Colombia), to exciting new technology plays (think closed-loop, deep heat-exchange, storage etc), fantastic new interest of financial players investing into the sector, commitment and investment by the oil and gas sector, geothermal heat finding its way to the top of choices for decarbonising the heat sector, and a much wider coverage of geothermal in the wider media. Founded on the fact that geothermal did not receive sufficient coverage when we started, the latter is fantastic and points to a wider reach of geothermal.
But here the top 10 most read news pieces on ThinkGeoEnergy in 2021.
- ThinkGeoEnergy’s Top 10 Geothermal Countries 2020 – installed power generation capacity (MWe)
- Geothermal lithium, its extraction and impact on clean energy
- Green Hydrogen: Geothermal’s route to pseudo-commoditization?
- Consortium formed to develop geothermal in Northern Ireland
- World’s largest direct air capture and CO2 storage plant on in Iceland
- U.S. based technology startup Quaise Energy is looking at disrupting the geothermal sector with a completely unique drilling technology that could help tap deep supercritical resources.
- New Zealand-based energy company Contact Energy is going ahead with building the 150 MW Tauhara geothermal power project with construction to kick off soon.
- Reviewing technologies for lithium extraction from geothermal brines
- Location found for unique ultra-deep geothermal program, Netherlands
- El Salvador plans bitcoin mining using geothermal energy
The above are the top 10 most read news are based on the overall page views per article (published in 2021) from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.
Of course there are several contenders that come close to these most read news pieces and we will be trying to publish some summary highlight of 2021 at a later stage, as well as our annual Top 10 Geothermal Countries list.
We thank you for another exciting year and particularly another record year with a 65% increase in visitors (to 650,000) to the site and a 40% increase in pageviews to more than 1.4 million.