Deep saline and shallow aquifers and are the UK’s geothermal opportunity
Presentation by the British Geological Survey titled "Deep Geothermal energy and groundwater in the UK" - By Jon Busby
The following are the key points from a presentation by Jon Busby from The British Geological Survey titled “Deep Geothermal energy and groundwater in the UK”. This presentation provides an excellent overview of geothermal resources and potential in Britain.
Mr Busby concludes that:
• There is a large heat resource resource at depth
• The deep saline aquifers offer the best prospect to exploit this heat resource
• The largest identified resource is in the SSG of the Eastern England basin that has lower salinity
• Saturated brines can produce problems of precipitation and disposal
• There is still uncertainty in deep reservoir transmissivity
• EGS offers the prospect of geothermal electricity generation
• There may be local opportunities from fractured rock
To peruse the presentation, please follow the link.
Source: Ground Water UK