Geothermal heat and power project planned in Vukovar-Srijem, Croatia

Geothermal heat and power project planned in Vukovar-Srijem, Croatia First drawings of proposed geothermal project in Vukovar-Srijem, Croatia (source: Geotermalni izvori)
Alexander Richter 10 May 2020

Geothermal heat and power project in Vukovar-Srijem, Croatia planned as part of larger scale economic development plans based on a positive study on the geothermal potential in the region.

As reported locally, the county of Vukovar-Srijem in Croatia targets energy independence with quality investments and renewable energy development. With that strategy, it targets development and economic progress in the region, attracting investors, creating new jobs and raising living standards. One of the most important renewable energy sources is the geothermal potential in Babina Greda, which is being intensively targeted. The geothermal source in that village was discovered by INA in search of oil in the mid-1980s.

The project “Research and exploitation of geothermal potential in the Vukovar-Srijem County” is a strategic project of the County and the Municipality of Babina Greda, and the main goal is to put the indicated geothermal potential in the function of sustainable economic development. It is carried out in accordance with the Law on Exploration and Exploitation of Hydrocarbons – points out the prefect Bozo Galic.

The Ministry of State Property donated 43.5 hectares of state land to the Municipality of Babina Greda, which created the preconditions for the formation of the Economic Zone of Krcevina with a total area of ??47 hectares. There will be wells there, and the obtained geothermal energy will be able to be used for the power plant, processing industry, drying capacities, cold storage, greenhouse production, spas …

The company Geotermalni izvori, headed by Sasa Devic, which was jointly founded in 2013 by the County and the Municipality, received a permit to explore geothermal waters in the exploration area “Babina Greda 2” with a total area of ??7.7 square kilometers. Property-legal issues have been resolved with the owners of the plots on which the investigation works will be carried out. The total value of the necessary documentation for the construction of the exploration well is HRK 2,130,000 (kuna) (around USD 300k), and 85 percent of the funds are provided from the Operational Program Competitiveness and Cohesion. The remaining 15 percent will be raised by the County and the Municipality. The implementation of the project “Development of project-technical documentation for the project Research and exploitation of geothermal potential in the Vukovar-Srijem County” began in October 2019. The first in a series of documents, ”

The mayor of Babina Greda, Josip Krni?, points out that this is a huge natural wealth of great generosity and high energy quality.

It is an invaluable potential for attracting investment that will open up numerous opportunities and much needed new jobs. It will be in the function of socio-economic development of Babina Greda, the county, but also the wider region. The goal is to be energy self-sustainable and for Babina Greda to be a green point of VSC and the Republic of Croatia – he points out. He expects drilling to begin next year, as planned. And there, he notes, are revenues from ore rent for the municipal and county budgets.

In separate news, Balkan Green Energy News, reports that a study estimated that heat of around 125 degrees Celsius could be found at a depth of around 2,600 metres with an estimated heating potential of 27 MW and potential power generation of 1 MW. Temperatures at a depth of 3,800 meters are estimated at 170 degrees Celsius, which could see development of heat and power generation with 15-20 MW in power generation capacity.

Source: Glas Slavonije