Job: PhD position on EGS at Helmholtz Centre at the GFZ in Potsdam, Germany
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam (GFZ), International Centre for Geothermal Research (ICGR) invite applications for a PhD position on Enhanced Geothermal Systems in Potsdam, Germany.
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1,180 employees, the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization.
For the International Centre for Geothermal Research (ICGR) we invite applications for a PhD position on Enhanced Geothermal Systems (m/f), Reference No. 96/ICGR/15 D
The International Centre for Geothermal Research (ICGR) at GFZ Potsdam is opening a position in the project “SURE – Novel Productivity Enhancement Concept for a Sustainable Utilization of a Geothermal Resource”, funded by the European Commission – Horizon 2020 for 2+1 years.
- the successful candidate will perform high temperature/high pressure experiments in an MTS triaxial deformation apparatus.
- measurements of mechanical, thermal and hydraulic rock properties under saturated conditions as functions of temperature, pressure and effective stress will be performed.
- mechanical and flow tests will be conducted on both natural and artificially fractured rock samples under simulated reservoir conditions.
- micro-structural analyses of the treated samples will be performed with optical, scanning and transmission electron microscopy.
- correlations for hydraulic properties of fractured samples depending on time and reservoir conditions will be obtained.
- Applicants should hold a Master degree (or equivalent) in geology or geophysics, with a strong background in hydrogeology and rock mechanics.
- expertise in experimental deformation of rocks and microstructural analyses will be considered an advantage, but not a necessity for the application.
- the ability and willingness to work in an interdisciplinary and international environment and proficiency in written and spoken English are mandatory.
- Starting date: March 1, 2016
- Fixed term: 2+1 years
- Salary: EG 13 TVöD-Bund (Ost)
- Working hours: part-time 75%, currently 29.25 h/ week
- Location: Potsdam/ Germany
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application by 31. December 2015 quoting the reference no.96/ICGR/15 D via email to email@example.com. Please combine your application documents into a single PDF file with a size of up to 3 megabytes.
Source: GFZ Job Offer