U.S. DOE Funding Opportunity: Deep Direct Use Feasibility Studies
The U.S. DOE has issued a funding opportunity for conducting feasibility studies of large-scale, low-temperature deep-well geothermal systems coupled with advanced direct-use applications that could expand use of geothermal resources beyond the western United States.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Office has published this funding opportunity for geothermal deep direct use feasbility studies.
This Funding Opportunity Announcement is soliciting applications that propose projects conducting feasibility studies of large-scale, low-temperature deep-well geothermal systems coupled with advanced direct-use applications and cascaded surface technologies whose applications will extend the reach of geothermal into geologically distinct parts of the country beyond the western U.S. These systems are referred to herein as deep direct-use or DDU.
The funding will be a total of up to $4 million, subject to congressional approval (see note here).
This FOA will solicit applications that propose projects supporting DDU feasibility studies in two Topic Areas:
- Topic Area 1 “DDU Feasibility Studies” will focus on the initial site selection, resource assessment, and feasibility study of DDU technology(s).
- Topic Area 2 “DDU Community of Practice Administration and Techno-Economic Validation of DDU Projects” seeks to convene and establish a DDU Community of Practice (COP).
Please note the “Submission Deadlines” below. The EERE Exchange system is designed to enforce hard deadlines for Concept Paper and Full Application submissions. The APPLY and SUBMIT buttons automatically disable at the defined submission deadlines. The intention of this design is to consistently enforce a standard deadline for all applicants.
The complete Funding Opportunity Announcement can be accessed under the “Documents” heading below.
FOA FAQs for this Funding Opportunity Announcement can be accessed under the “Documents” heading below.
An informational webinar will be held for this FOA on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM MST. Please register to attend this webinar at the followink link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/287416016612647428
Applicants that experience issues with submissions PRIOR to the FOA Deadline:
In the event that an Applicant experiences technical difficulties with a submission, the Applicant should contact the Exchange helpdesk for assistance – EERE-ExchangeSupport@hq.doe.gov
Required application documents
Pursuant to the FOA, Applicants are required to submit the “Required Application Documents” with their Application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed or considered.
- EERE-ExchangeSupport@hq.doe.gov – For the submission of questions related to the EERE Exchange website.
- DDUFOA1601@ee.doe.gov – For the submission of questions related to this specific Funding Opportunity Announcement.
- Concept Paper Submission Deadline: 12/15/2016 5:00 PM ET
- Full Application Submission Deadline: 2/22/2017 5:00 PM ET
Source: U.S. Department of Energy